Now the sun is shining and meeting friends outdoors is back on the cards, what better way to soak up the sun than with refreshing booze-infused ice lollies, inspired by some of your favourite alcoholic tipples.
There’s nothing worse than melted ice lollies, which is why drinks retailer, The Bottle Club, has brought together three simple ice lolly recipes you can make at home, perfect to enjoy with friends in the back garden and ‘chillax’ this May bank holiday weekend.
Gin & Tonic Ice Lolly With Basil, Lime & Strawberry
Let’s face it, ice lollies aren’t just for kids. These G&T inspired lollies have a dash of something a little stronger, perfect to get your weekend started.
This sweet, tantalising lolly brings together the sweetness of Gordon’s Peach flavoured gin, fresh juicy strawberries and tart lime, all balanced by the herby notes from the basil; it’s summer on a stick!
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 100ml Gordon’s Peach Gin
- 25g sugar
- 16g strawberries
- 2 limes
- 4 basil leaves
- 2 cans of Fever-Tree Mediterranean Tonic
- Boil a small amount of water in your kettle. Put the sugar into a jug with a splash of boiled water and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Slice the strawberries lengthways, cut one of the limes in half and squeeze the juice into the sugar water. Cut the other lime into slices.
- Add the gin and the tonic to the jug as well. Give everything a good stir.
- Pop a basil leaf into each mould, along with some strawberry slices and a couple of lime slices
- Fill the moulds right to the brim and push a stick in each
- Freeze overnight
Watermelon, Raspberry Vodka & Kiwi Ice Lolly
If you want to boost your vitamin intake, these fruity ice lollies are the ones for you. Watermelon is around 92% water, so it’s no wonder these lollies are so refreshing. And of course, the additional raspberry vodka and kiwi puree add that tangy taste to these little slices of cool.
Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
- 300g watermelon
- 30 raspberries
- 100 ml Tiptree English Raspberry Vodka Liqueur
- 2 kiwis
- A splash of lemonade
- Cut the watermelon up and put the chunks of watermelon flesh into a food processor and blend along with 100 ml of vodka
- Strain the blended watermelon mixture through a sieve into a jug or bowl.
- Place about 5 raspberries at the bottom of each lolly mould, you need about 1cm of space at the top of the mould, so push the raspberries down.
- Pour the watermelon and vodka blend into the mould and pop the mould in the freezer for an hour, or until the watermelon juice is part frozen but not totally solid.
- While they’re freezing, remove the skin from the kiwis and dice up the flesh.
- Add the diced kiwi fruit to the top of the mould, press them down so it’s packed in, top with your lemonade or clear juice.
- Put a stick in each mould and pop them back in the freezer until fully frozen.
Vegan Pina Colada Ice Lolly
When travel is back on the cards, we’re looking forward to sun, sea, and piña coladas. In the meantime, why not whip up your own vacation-inspired lollies, featuring pineapple, coconut rum and coconut milk, ideal for vegans!
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- 250g pineapple
- 100ml Mahiki Coconut Rum Liqueur
- 50ml agave nectar
- 400ml can coconut milk
- Cut the pineapple and add 200g of it to your blender, along with the coconut rum, agave nectar, and coconut milk. Blend until as smooth as possible.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve to remove any bits that haven’t been blended
- Slice the remaining 50g of pineapple chunks so they are thinner. Add these to your ice lolly moulds.
- Top the moulds with the blended mixture and pop a lolly stick in each one
- Freeze overnight and enjoy!