With Mother’s Day coming up (Sunday 9th May), it is the perfect chance to show the most influential women in our lives just how much they mean to us. So, why not show a little extra love by mixing up a sweet cocktail surprise?
Whether it’s a light and fruity cocktail with breakfast in bed, something bubbly to sip outside while you enjoy the spring weather or a simple classic, there’s no better day to share a drink with mum.
Drink retailer The Bottle Club has teamed up with leading mixologist, Michele Lombardi to create three brand new cocktail recipes that are guaranteed to bring her some much-needed cheer this Mother’s Day.
This cocktail is a tasty riff of a classic Clover Club. Using strawberries for a fresh fruity element and egg white for a delicate texture. Fantastic to sip in a garden while enjoying the good weather.
- 50ml (1.6 oz) Beefeater 24
- 20ml (0.6oz) fresh lemon juice
- 15ml (0.5oz) of sugar syrup
- 1 egg white
- 2 fresh strawberries
- Chop and put your fresh strawberries in a cocktail shaker.
- Smash them with a muddler.
- Pour all the ingredients and shake without ice to get a nice froth.
- Fill up your cocktail shaker with ice, shake and strain in a chilled coupe glass.
- Garnish with a fresh strawberry.
2. MOTHER’S COSMO
A super tasty twist on a classic Cosmopolitan. This cocktail combines fresh raspberries and orange Saccharum, instead of cranberry and triple sec, which perfectly matches Gordon’s Sicilian lemon gin.
- 45ml (1.5oz) Gordon’s Sicilian lemon Gin
- 20ml (0.6oz) Fresh lime juice
- 15ml (0.5 oz) Orange Saccharum
- 2 fresh raspberries
- To make your orange Saccharum, you need a small jar or a plastic container, 4 oranges and 100 grams of caster sugar.
- Mix the peel of the oranges with sugar, shake everything and let them rest for 24 hours. You will get a nice orange syrup full of flavour (that syrup is called Saccharum).
- To make the drink, grab your cocktail shaker, muddle 2 fresh raspberries, add all the ingredients and fill it up with ice.
- Shake and strain in a chilled cocktail coupe and garnish with one leftover orange peel from your orange Saccharum.
3. GOOD AFTERNOON, MUM
This drink is a refreshing reimagining of a British cocktail. Adding some honey and English breakfast tea that perfectly blends with a splash of English sparkling wine.
- 45ml (1.5oz) Hendrick’s gin
- 20ml (0.6oz) fresh lime juice
- 15 ml (0.5oz) Honey and English breakfast tea mix
- 4 mint leaves
- English sparkling wine
- For your honey and tea mix, infuse a English breakfast tea in hot water, then mix the tea with the honey using the ratio 1:1, stir and let the mixture chill down and here you have your syrup ready to go.
- Grab your cocktail shaker, add all the ingredients and fill it up with ice.
- Shake and strain in a chilled cocktail coupe and then add a splash of English sparkling wine on top.
- Garnish with a mint leaf.